What's new

What are these little tube things growing in my tank?

Solution
I see these little tube things growing on the rocks and wave makers. Are they good or bad?

View attachment 166
Vermetid snails.

They aren’t necessarily a bad thing but they can quickly take over. They release a string of mucus that they use to catch food in the water column. This string can irritate your coral and prevent them from opening up fully. You can remove them by either picking them off with your fingernail or you can put a dab of glue on them. They’re tough to get rid of completely without destroying your live rock but you should probably remove them when you see them popping up so they don’t overpopulate.
I see these little tube things growing on the rocks and wave makers. Are they good or bad?

View attachment 166
Vermetid snails.

They aren’t necessarily a bad thing but they can quickly take over. They release a string of mucus that they use to catch food in the water column. This string can irritate your coral and prevent them from opening up fully. You can remove them by either picking them off with your fingernail or you can put a dab of glue on them. They’re tough to get rid of completely without destroying your live rock but you should probably remove them when you see them popping up so they don’t overpopulate.

Upvote 1
Solution
Back