What's new

BolensFrogQuatics

How* many pets do you actually own?? Lol
At this point, too many…. I used to have more but I had to make some changes for financial reasons. Big sad. But here’s a list

1- baby Savannah monitor
1- red tail boa
2- ball pythons
2- rats
1- cockatiel
2- Sun conures
1- painted turtle
8- mice
2- dogs

Are the mice for the snakes? Lol
I keep my mice separated by pets and feeders lol. I’m not sure how many feeders I actually have. I have multiple bins that I keep now. At this point I’m trying to give them away because they reproduce so quickly. I would say in the 40-50 range probably.

I keep my mice separated by pets and feeders lol. I’m not sure how many feeders I actually have. I have multiple bins that I keep now. At this point I’m trying to give them away because they reproduce so quickly. I would say in the 40-50 range probably.
That would be the hardest part for me lol I couldn't feed live mice to a snake. I know it's nature and all and that's all cool with me, but I couldn't do that part lol

That would be the hardest part for me lol I couldn't feed live mice to a snake. I know it's nature and all and that's all cool with me, but I couldn't do that part lol
yea i think that would be the tough part. unless they were frozen or something

Don’t take me wrong. I NEVER feed live mice to my snakes. That’s a bad way to go. I do my best to give the feeder mice a good and enriched life with toys and fresh air just like a pet mouse. I use homemade CO2 chamber to put them to sleep then I freeze them. I still feel horrible after doing that but if you’re going to keep animals that primarily feed on rodents at the numbers I do you either need to breed them or spend lots of monies ag the pest store. Just because your fate is to be food doesn’t mean you are destined to abuse as far as I’m concerned.

yea i think that would be the tough part. unless they were frozen or something
To add on to my latest statement. I still feel bad putting them to sleep. Mice are sweet little creatures that deserve love but at the same time, my reptiles gotta eat too. That’s the way of life. It’s hard to accept. Especially when you do it yourself like I do. Believe me when I say I thought about giving my snakes away the first time I had to put some mice to sleep. But at the same time I realized that no matter how cute or precious something is, another creature considers it food. And that’s just part of living. That’s nature in its purest form, and nature prevails above all else. So I accepted the fact that in keeping snakes and other large reptiles at the number I do that this is going to have to be part of it. And if I don’t I’m just buying it off someone who does.

Don’t take me wrong. I NEVER feed live mice to my snakes. That’s a bad way to go. I do my best to give the feeder mice a good and enriched life with toys and fresh air just like a pet mouse. I use homemade CO2 chamber to put them to sleep then I freeze them. I still feel horrible after doing that but if you’re going to keep animals that primarily feed on rodents at the numbers I do you either need to breed them or spend lots of monies ag the pest store. Just because your fate is to be food doesn’t mean you are destined to abuse as far as I’m concerned.

No I totally get that and that is definitely the most humane way to do it. I just know I would really struggle with that part. But I mean, the snakes gotta eat lol

Isn't it dangerous to feed them live anyways? Like isn't there a risk the mouse could hurt the snake?

Isn't it dangerous to feed them live anyways? Like isn't there a risk the mouse could hurt the snake?
It can be dangerous depending on the age of the mouse. There is a stage in their life that they don't have very big teeth and their jaw muscles aren't strong enough to penetrate the scales but it doesn't take long for them to get big enough to do some damage. Especially around the eyes. It is particularly dangerous when you start getting into feeding rats.

Back